This recipe is a perfect finger food starter and easy to eat with a beer in hand while everyone socialises around the BBQ. As a variation, try the recipe with any smoked fish or smoked mussels.
An image from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook by Auckland Seafood School. Food photography by Sean Shadbolt. Published by Penguin Group NZ.
Makes: 2 quesadillas. Chef: Petra New
4 soft flour tortillas
500 g smoked salmon, flaked
100 g sour cream
1 cup spring onions, thinly sliced
a sprinkle of chilli flakes
½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
1 tomato, deseeded and diced
2 cups cheese, grated
1. Heat barbecue to a low heat.
2. Lay out 2 tortillas.
3. Place salmon, sour cream, spring onions, chilli flakes, coriander, tomato and cheese in a bowl and mix to form a spreadable filling.
4. Spoon filling over each laid-out tortilla and top each with remaining tortillas.
5. Lightly spray barbecue with non-stick spray and cook quesadillas for approximately 3 minutes or until golden. Flip and cook remaining side.
6. Place onto a board, cut into 8 wedges and serve.