Kingfish is a perfect fish for this dish as it holds the bold flavours of the sesame, black bean and soy so well.
Chef: Steve Roberts. Serves: 4
- 4 x 150gm fillets kingfish, skin off, cubed
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- ½ cup black sesame seeds
- Oil for searing
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1cm ginger, finely sliced
- 25gm Chinese black beans, rinsed
- 400gm broccoli, cut into florets
- 60ml Foundation Foods fish stock
- 2 spring onion, sliced
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
Soy and Chilli broth
- ½ cup Kikkoman light soy sauce
- 2cm ginger, grated
- 4 tbsp Golden Sun sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- For the broth: heat all ingredients in a small pot, simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.
- Trim kingfish and dip into beaten egg white, remove and season.
- In a bowl mix sesame seeds. Coat the kingfish with the sesame seeds.
- Sear kingfish in a medium pan for a couple of minutes each side (depending on the size of the pieces). Allow to rest.
- Add a little oil to a hot wok or large frying pan, add garlic, ginger and black beans and stir fry for a couple of minutes and remove from the wok.
- Add the broccoli, stock and spring onions to the wok and stir fry around 4 minutes. Add the black beans back in and toss, remove from the heat and toss through basil leaves.
- Arrange broccoli in 4 serving bowls and top with kingfish. Pour over the soy chilli broth.