Try one of our pasta classes – learn how to make fresh pasta and then match it with seasonal seafood to create delicious seafood and pasta recipes.
Pan seared market fish, taglierini, pomodoro sauce with caramelised citrus and fresh herbs
Chef: Steve Roberts
4 x 180gm fillets of market fresh fish – skin on and boned
400gm fresh pasta dough – rolled to the 2nd to last setting, and cut into taglierini (see recipe below OR use fresh or dried store brought)
400ml pomodoro sauce (recipe below)
3 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
4 citrus halves
Castor sugar – for caramelising
Handful of Italian parsley and basil – chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat tomato sauce in a pan.
- Cook pasta to al dente in a large pot of salted boiling water, allowing plenty of room for the pasta to move.
- Drain pasta well and add to the tomato sauce. Add in the butter, pesto and parmesan and season.
- Season fish and quickly fry in a hot pan for approximately 2 minutes each side and dust with freshly chopped herbs.
- Dip citrus halves into sugar, place in a dry saucepan on a medium high heat to caramelise. Remove and let cool.
- Twist taglierini onto a fork and gently place on to the plate. Arrange the fish on top of the pasta.
- Garnish with caramelised citrus which can be squeezed over the fish just before eating. You can also garnish with a few micro herbs and a drizzle of balsamic reduction and olive oil.
Fresh egg pasta dough
500gm 00 flour (or standard is ok)
Good pinch salt
50ml Lupi Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Place flour in a mound and make a well in the centre, place eggs, salt and olive oil into the well.
- Mix dough and knead for around 10 minutes. Cover and leave to rest for at least half an hour to relax the gluten.
- Cut dough into quarters and use as required.
400gm can of Italian tomatoes in juice
¼ onion – finely chopped
2 garlic cloves – crushed
½ stalk celery – finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree
½ tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to season
- In a blender process the tomatoes in their juice until puree consistency.
- Heat a saucepan, add a little olive oil and gently sweat off onion, garlic and celery.
- Add your tomato puree and remaining ingredients and gently simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes
- Blend sauce and strain. Check seasoning and use as required.