A classic chowder brimming with seafood. Any combination of New Zealand shellfish and fish that you have available will work.
Serves: 4. Chef: John Campbell. Photo: Sean Shadbolt (The Complete NZ Seafood Cookbook)
100gm bacon, diced
100gm onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
100gm celery, diced
100ml white wine
1 litre chicken or fish stock
1 bouquet garni or 1 tbsp savoury herbs
200gm potatoes, diced
12 prawns (meat only)
100gm seafood marinara (thawed)
120gm seasonal white fish, cubed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp crème fraîche, optional
Chopped chives, for garnish
1. Heat a good-sized pan and add the butter. Gently fry the bacon then add the onion and garlic.
2. Add the celery and cook for a further few minutes with no colour.
3. Add the wine, cook out a little, then add in the stock, the bouquet garni (or savoury herbs) and potatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add in all the seafood. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Season to taste and add the crème fraîche (if using).
6. Serve in warm soup bowls. Garnish with chives and serve with fresh crusty bread alongside.