This recipe never gets old…especially when slightly reinvented with a lemongrass, lime, sweet chilli dipping sauce. Try making the recipe with your children over the weekend – great fun to make and delicious for everyone to enjoy.
Serves: 4. Chef: Petra New
8 prawns, raw
Splash of non-scented oil (i.e. canola, soy, rice bran)
½ lime, juice and zest
8 rice paper sheets
½ lime, juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
½ tbsp palm sugar, finely chopped
1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
¼ telegraph cucumber, fine julienne
½ carrot, peeled & grated
¼ ice berg lettuce, shredded
½ long red chilli, deseeded and diced
1 tbsp mint, chopped
1 tbsp coriander, chopped
1 lemongrass stalk (fresh or frozen), finely shredded
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp light palm sugar
1 tsp Golden Sun sweet chilli sauce
½ cup water
1. Dressing; In a jug mix the lime juice (½ lime), fish sauce (1 tbsp) and palm sugar (½ tbsp) together until the palm sugar has dissolved.
2. In a bowl toss all the filling ingredients together and set aside.
3. In a pan on medium heat, with a splash of non-scented oil, add the prawns and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper, when they turn orange turn over and squeeze over the lime juice (this should take only a matter of minutes). Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. When cool, remove the tail and chop the prawn in large pieces.
4. Place all of the dipping sauce ingredients into a small pot and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the amount of liquid is reduced by half.
5. Fill a bowl with warm water, place in a rice paper sheet and allow to soften in the water, then remove and place on a clean tea towel – this allows for the excess water to be soaked up.
6. On the end of the rice paper sheet closest to you, place some of the vegetable mix, then place on top some prawn and a small amount of dressing.
7. Fold over the sheet once, pull it in to tighten it, fold in the sides then roll up firmly. Repeat with all the rice paper sheets.
8. To serve: place the prawn rice paper rolls onto a serving platter and accompany with the dipping sauce and garnish with lime wedges.