Serves 4. Recipe by Seafood School Head Chef: Paulie Hooton
400gm large prawn cutlets
250gm rice noodles
5 tbsp grapeseed oil
¼ cup fish sauce
¼ cup Kikkoman soy sauce – gluten free
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup baby corn, drained
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
1 capsicum, thinly sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
½ cup Thai basil leaves
1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
1 tbsp chilli flakes, for garnish
- Place noodles into a pot and cook until soft in boiling water, strain and refresh in cold water. They should be white in colour tender yet firm.
- Let the noodles sit in cold water until ready to add to the sauce (this stops them sticking together), refresh in hot water just before adding to sauce.
- For the sauce, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and ¼ cup water in a medium bowl until blended and the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large wok or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the prawn cutlets and the salt and cook until prawns are lightly pink and cooked through, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly so the garlic does not burn.
- Add the baby corn, chilli and capsicums to the wok and cook until the capsicums are just starting to colour, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the noodles and the fish sauce, soy sugar mixture. Stir to combine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and basil, continue to cook until the basil has wilted and the tomatoes are just cooked through, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with wedges of lemon on the side and garnish with chilli flakes.