Designed by Marco Edwardes executive Chef at Te Whau Vineyards on Waiheke Island, the roulade is ‘melt in your mouth’ delicious.
Serves 4 as Main or 6 as an Entree
200 – 300gm fresh salmon
200gm Fish farce (see below)
1 large bunch spinach – washed
Flaky Sea Salt & Cracked black pepper
1 onion – finely sliced
1 garlic clove
300gm baby spinach, washed
Pinch of sugar
200gm white flesh fish eg gurnard, skinned and boned
60-70ml cream – cold
1 egg white
Flaky Sea Salt & cracked black pepper
Method for Fish Farce:
- Cut fish into small cubes and place in a stainless steel bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with some lemon juice and add the egg white. Mix well and place in freezer for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove fish mix from freezer and place in a food processor. Using the pulse button, pulse fish into a fine paste. Now slowly add the cold cream to the fish mix until well combined.
- Season to taste.
- Before passing the fish farce through a fine sieve, poach a little sample in salted water to check consistency. Place fish farce in a bowl, cover and place in fridge until needed.
Method for Roulade:
- Spread Glad Wrap on kitchen bench. Slice salmon very thin. Place salmon slices on Glad Wrap, slightly overlapping. Season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Spread fish farce on salmon pieces. Cover with washed spinach leaves.
- Roll the roulade together, making sure it is not too tight.
- Roll again with tin foil, closing the ends nice and tight.
- Poach the roulade in simmering water (do not boil) for 8 -10 minutes.
- Remove from water and place on a plate. Remove the wrapping and cut into three pieces.
- Heat the butter in a medium size saucepan. Sauté the sliced onion and garlic then add baby spinach and cook until wilted. Season to taste.
- Serve the sliced roulade on the wilted spinach with the vierge sauce and a lemon wedge.
1 cup Lupi Extra Virgin Olive oil
3 tomatoes (½ cup) – finely diced, peeled and seeded
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp basil leaves – snipped
1 tbsp chives – snipped
1 garlic clove – minced
6 coriander seeds – crushed
Flaky Sea Salt & black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix gently and season. Warm the sauce slightly before serving.