Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
600gm market fresh fish fillets, skin off, bone out
300gm artisan bread, diced 2–3cm
2 tbsp vinegar (eg: red wine or white wine)
2 tsp sugar
¼ red onion, very thinly sliced
100gm green beans
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
100gm roasted red capsicum
1½ tbsp Lupi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp capers
1 lemon, zested and juiced
¼ cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper
- Toss diced bread with a drizzle of olive oil onto the prepared tray. Season with salt and pepper and bake in the hot oven for 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and red onion and stir to coat. Set aside to pickle for about 10 minutes.
- Grill green beans and cook for 2 minutes or until coloured, remove and let cool to the side. Cut cherry tomatoes in half, thinly slice capsicum and place all into a large bowl.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels, remove any remaining scales or bones and season with salt. Heat a chef’s tablespoon of olive oil in a large fry-pan (preferably non-stick) on medium to high heat. Cook fish for 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip over and cook a further 1 minute or until just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside, to rest for a few minutes. Keep pan on the heat.
- Add butter to the pan and when it starts to bubble, add capers and cook for about 30 seconds. Add lemon juice and turn off heat. The butter should turn slightly brown to give a nutty flavour.
- Drain onion (reserving the pickling liquid). Add onions to the bowl with the vegetables. Gently toss with extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the reserved pickling liquid and croutons. Scatter over basil leaves.
- Serve the salad, topped with fish and citrus caper butter.