The flavours of Italy are showcased in Chef Petra New’s recipe. Fresh seasonal fish is matched with tomato, oregano, lemon & feta and presented in a baked aubergine shell. Serve with fresh seasonal salad and crunchy bread.
Serves: 4. Chef: Petra New
2 aubergine (eggplant)
½ onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
100ml white wine
1 can chopped tomatoes (420gm)
1 tbsp oregano, chopped
400gm market fish, skin off, diced (firm fish)
1 lemon, zest
Salt and pepper
Lupi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp brown sugar (to correct seasoning, may not be used)
Italian parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Cut the aubergines in half, score the inside and sprinkle with salt, set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Wipe off any excess liquid that comes out of the aubergine.
3. Using a small knife remove ¾ of the aubergine flesh and then dice.
4. Drizzle the aubergine with olive oil, season with pepper and place the aubergine shell onto a tray and into a hot oven, 180ºc fan bake for 10 minutes (may take longer depending on the size of the aubergine).
5. In a pan add a splash of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant, then add the diced aubergine flesh, continue to sauté for 3 minutes.
6. Add the wine and allow liquid to reduce by half.
7. Next add the chopped tomatoes and oregano, reduce heat and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if it tastes acidic then correct this by adding some sugar (we are not trying to make it sweet, just to balance).
9. Add the lemon zest and the diced fish, cooking to just seal the fish.
10. Remove from the heat and fill each aubergine with the fish and tomato stew.
11. Sprinkle with feta cheese and place back into the oven for 10 minutes to cook the fish through and grill the feta.
12. Remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley.