Nothing beats a freshly cooked mussel fritter served with pickled onions and mayonnaise.
Serves: 4. Chef: Paulie Hooton
1 cup flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp milk
Salt and pepper
150gm smoked bacon
400gm mussel meat, from steamed mussels
½ cup shallots, diced
½ cup Italian parsley, chopped
1 lemon, zest & juice
½ cup white wine vinegar
3 tbsp castor sugar
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 red onion, thinly sliced
Mayonnaise (good quality) and Italian parsley, to serve
1. Break the eggs into a mixer and with a whisk attachment, whisk the eggs for 1 minute. Add the sifted flour, baking powder & milk, blend until smooth, season and set aside until required.
2. For the pickle heat up the vinegar with sugar and mustard seeds until the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and once cooled pour over sliced onions and leave to infuse.
3. Fry the bacon in a medium sized pan with a little olive oil until crispy, remove bacon from the pan, cool slightly and dice. Set aside the pan used to cook the bacon for the fritters.
4. Place half the mussel meat on a chopping board and dice until the meat is smaller, not too fine, add the shallots and parsley. Add additional seasoning, the lemon zest & juice and the chopped bacon and mix together. Fold through the batter mixture.
5. Heat the bacon pan to a medium-high heat, add some more olive oil then spoon mix into pan and cook 2-4 minutes each side until golden. Remember to not make the fritters too big.
6. Serve with mayonnaise and the pickled onions.