Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons milk
Salt & pepper
400gm mussel meat from just steamed open mussels
½ red onion diced
½ cup Italian Parsley, chopped
½ cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons castor sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup sour cream
1 lemon zested & juiced
1 cup lettuce leaves
- Break eggs into a blender with a whisk attachment, whisk the eggs for 1 minute, then add sifted flour, baking powder & milk, blend until smooth, season & leave until required.
- For the pickle heat up vinegar with sugar & mustard seeds until the sugar has dissolved, take off heat and once cooled pour over sliced onions & let rest.
- To make the citrus cream mix sour cream and citrus together and season.
- Place half the mussel meat on a chopping board and dice until the meat is smaller, not too fine, add the red onion & parsley, add additional seasoning & lemon zest & juice and mix together then fold into batter mixture.
- Heat in a pan on a medium-high heat, add some more olive oil then spoon mix into pan, cook 2-4 minutes each size until golden, remember to not make the fritters too big.
- Serve with lettuce leaves, pickled onions and citrus cream.