New Zealand mussels are perfectly matched with Mediterranean flavours. Fresh crunchy bread completes the meal.
Serves: 4. Chef: John Campbell
2 dozen mussels, cleaned
2 tbsp Lupi Extra Virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled & diced
300ml white wine
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped (or use tinned)
30gm capers, chopped if large
20gm Italian parlsey, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp paprika
½ lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper
1. Heat a large pot, add the oil, onion and garlic and sauté with no colour.
2. Add the wine, mussels and then all the remaining ingredients. Cover with a lid and steam for approximately 4 minutes until the mussels open.
3. Once mussels have opened, remove them to a serving pot and reduce the sauce if necessary.
4. Taste and season as required.
5. Serve from the pot with crusty bread.