Chef Marco Edwardes created a little something special in his recent ‘Fizz & Fins’ Masterclass.
Serves: 4. Chef: Marco Edwardes
480gm Snapper fillets, skin on
1 lemon, quartered for garnish
Salt and pepper
Tomato and Olive Salad
40ml Lupi Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 punnet mixed red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
60gm green and black Italian or Greek olives, pitted and halved
25gm caper berries, sliced
1 red chilli, finely sliced
20gm basil, chopped
20gm Italian parsley, chopped
65ml Pinot Gris wine
30ml red wine vinegar
20ml Lupi Extra Virgin olive oil
3 fennel bulbs (reserve one and slice finely on a Mandolin for garnish)
¼ onion, finely chopped
1 tsp fennel seeds
120ml vegetable stock
1. For the fennel puree, heat olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat, add the chopped fennel, onion and fennel seeds. Stir from time to time and cook until vegetables are tender.
2. Add stock and cook a bit longer until vegetables are very soft. Place into a food processor, add butter and blend until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
3. For the tomato salad, heat olive oil in a medium sized fry pan, add tomatoes, olives, capers, caper berries, chilli and herbs. Deglaze pan with pinot gris and red wine vinegar and season to taste.
4. To fry the snapper, preheat a medium sized fry pan to medium heat. Season the snapper with salt and pepper. Add a little oil then place snapper skin side down and cook for 2-4 minutes until skin is crisp and golden. Turn once, heat through then remove from pan.
5. To serve, arrange fennel puree and tomato salad onto serving plates, top with grilled snapper skin side up, garnish with shaved fennel and lemon wedges.