This simple Asian inspired dish is easily done on the barbecue or in a pan – the choice is yours. Mix and match your favourite Asian-style greens and any type of fish. My favourite alternatives are salmon or kingfish.
Chef: Steve Roberts
2 bok choy, halved blanched in boiling water and refreshed in iced water
2 red onions, cut into wedges
100gm baby corn
2 courgettes, cut into batons
100gm shitake mushrooms, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10gm ginger, finely chopped
100ml Sweet Thai Chilli sauce
1 egg white
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 x180gm tuna steaks
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 – 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat barbecue grill.
- Place bok choy, red onion, baby corn, courgettes and mushrooms in a large bowl. Add garlic, ginger, and Sweet Thai Chilli Sauce and mix well to coat vegetables. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate until required.
- In another bowl lightly beat the egg white. Add soy sauce and mix well. Brush one side of each tuna steak with the egg white mixture and coat with sesame seeds.
- Brush barbeque grill with oil, place on tuna steaks and grill sesame-side down for 2 minutes. Turn steaks over and grill the other side for 2 minutes. Remove from barbecue, set aside on a plate and allow to rest for 2 minutes, uncovered, before slicing.
- Brush a little more oil on barbecue grill and sauté marinated vegetables on the hot plate until softened.
- To serve, arrange vegetables on a serving plate and top with sliced tuna. Garnish with your favourite salsa and a caramelised lime.