How to shuck an oyster
- Wrap a tea towel over one hand and use it to hold the oyster firmly.
- Using an oyster shucking knife in the other hand, place the tip of the shucking knife at the base of the hinge, twist the knife using pressure, then without the pressure, lever the knife upwards, or twist it to prise the hinge open.
- Slide the knife under the top shell to release the oyster and remove the shell.
- Run the blade of the knife flat against the shell, separating the adductor muscle and turn for presentation.
- You can now add a dressing of your choice to the oysters (if preferred).
Freshly shucked oysters with shallot vinegar
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
12 oysters, shucked
4 shallots, finely diced
150ml wine vinegar
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1 lemon, for garnish
300gm fine salt
½ cup water
- Finely dice shallots or place in a blender and blend until fine, taking care not to turn into pulp.
- Remove from blender and in a bowl add the vinegar and combine well.
- Spoon over oysters, garnish with a wedge of lemon.
- Serve on salt mash.