Serves 4. Recipe by Seafood School Head Chef: Paulie Hooton
400gm white fish, gurnard, cut into slider bun-sized pieces
8 slider buns
1½ cups breadcrumbs, pounded fine in a pestle mortar
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
salt/ground black pepper
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp sugar
½ chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 lime, zested
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 tbsp Lupi Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 avocado, for smash
handful of small lettuce leaves (torn up)
8 cocktail skewers
½ cup good quality mayonnaise
½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 200˚C
- Slice slider buns in half and lay out on an oven tray.
- Mix breadcrumbs, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs then dip the fish pieces into egg mixture then breadcrumbs. Place coated fish in fridge while preparing the tomatoes and mayonnaise.
- In a smaller bowl whisk lime juice, sugar, chill, coriander and lime zest. Add tomatoes and set to one side.
- For the avocado smash in a bowl mix avocado, salt and pepper together and mash with a fork.
- For the paprika mayonnaise, mix mayonnaise, smoked paprika and lime juice together in a small jug or bowl.
- To cook the fish, heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook fish for one or two minutes each side until golden and cooked through.
- While the fish is cooking in the pan put the buns into the oven to warm through.
- 10. When the fish is cooked layer the sliders with lettuce, fish, mayonnaise, tomato and avocado. Before eating you can spike them with a cocktail skewer.
- 11. Makes 8 sliders.