Seared crispy skin salmon is served with a creamy ricotta filled crepe to create a wonderful fusion of flavours. You could also use hapuku or kingfish.
Chef: Marco Edwardes
- 400gm ricotta (not too soft)
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind and juice of 1
- ¼ cup each soft herbs ie: dill, flat-leaf parsley and chives, finely chopped (loosely packed)
- 600gm Seasonal fish fillet, skin on, cut into 75gm portions ie: salmon, hapuku, kingfish
- 1 fennel bulb, finely sliced (use fronds to serve if available)
- Lemon wedges to serve
- 40ml Lupi Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 200gm fresh cherry tomatoes
- 200gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ¼ cup oregano leaves, (loosely packed)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add shallots, garlic and chilli and cook for 4 – 5 minutes or until shallots are very soft. Add tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 5 – 6 minutes or until thick.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove saucepan from heat then stir through the oregano and keep warm.
- 125gm plain flour – sieved
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 30gm butter
- 2 eggs – lightly beaten
- ¼ cup each soft herbs ie: flat-leaf parsley, chives – finely chopped
For herb crêpes:
- Place flour in a bowl. Heat milk, butter and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over low heat until butter melts (2 – 3 minutes), remove from heat and then whisk in eggs. Gradually add milk mixture to flour, whisking until smooth. Add herbs and refrigerate to rest.
- Meanwhile, process ricotta, lemon rind and juice in a food processor until smooth, add herbs. Pulse to combine, season to taste and set aside.
- Heat a 22cm diameter crêpe pan or suitable pan over a medium heat. Brush with a little butter, add about 40ml batter, swirl to cover pan, cook until just set (1 – 2 minutes), turn and cook until golden (1 – 2 minutes). Transfer to a plate, keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Makes 12.
To cook salmon:
- Preheat a medium size fry pan or skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Add olive oil. Place salmon skin side down and gently cook for 2 – 3 minutes turning once until pink in the middle.
- Spread crêpes with ricotta mixture, place salmon on top, fold over and serve with warm tomato compote, shaved fennel, fennel fronds and lemon wedges.