Feel free to use any freshly caught/purchased white fish fillets in this recipe.
Serves: 4. Chef: Petra New
4 x 180gm market fresh fillets, Skin on eg: Alfonsino, Tarakihi, Snapper
1 lemon, zested
Splash of Lupi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
Juice from the zested lemon
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 cup besan/chickpea flour
¼ cauliflower head, chopped evenly and small, need approx. 2 cups
1 tbsp mild curry powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1cm ginger, grated
1 shallot, sliced
1 green chilli, chopped
Water to mix
Non scented oil, to shallow fry
150ml Greek yoghurt
¼ cup mint, roughly chopped
1. Place the fish onto a chopping board, score the skin side of the thickest part of the fish with a knife. This will create even cooking.
2. Place the fish on a plate, season with salt and pepper, lemon zest and a splash of olive oil and set aside.
3. Using a small fry pan on a medium heat add the fennel seeds and dry roast until fragrant.
4. For the pakoras in a bowl place in the besan flour, cauliflower, curry powder, garlic, ginger, shallot, green chilli and toasted fennel seeds. Mix well then gradually add water to form a thick batter.
5. For the dressing using a bar stick blender, mix ½ the yoghurt with the mint and blitz then season with salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining yoghurt (it will become very runny if you blitz all the yoghurt).
6. To cook the pakoras in a small pan, place in 1cm of non scented oil (ie: canola, soy, rice bran) and allow to become hot, add tablespoons of the pakora mix and shallow fry until golden on both sides.
7. To cook the fish heat a pan until almost smoking, then add the market fish, skin side down and cook on high heat until 5mm around the edge of the fish is cooked (white). Turn over, turn down heat and leave to finish in the pan (2–3 minutes depending on fillet thickness). When cooked, remove from the heat and squeeze over the lemon juice and garnish with chopped parsley.
8. To serve place a few pakoras onto the plate, top with the market fish and drizzle around the minted yogurt dressing.