Fish skewers are a great summer BBQ recipe – quick to prepare, can be matched with a variety of flavours plus your choice of (firm fleshed) fish such as Hapuku, Salmon, Kingfish, Monkfish, Gurnard, Rubyfish or Swordfish.
Serves: 4. Chef: John Campbell
600gm market fresh firm fish (can use 2 different types)
Bamboo skewers, pre-soaked in water
Drizzle of honey, warm
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 limes, zest and juice
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
2-3 cm root ginger, zested
1 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1-2 tbsp avocado oil, to garnish
1. Cube fish into large chunks and place in a non-metallic bowl.
2. In a bowl blend warm honey, chilli, citrus zest and juice, garlic, ginger and coriander together. Mix well.
3. Pour marinade over fish and mix through to coat all sides.
4. Cover and marinate for at least 20 minutes if possible.
5. Thread alternate pieces onto bamboo skewers and BBQ on a medium heat turning as they cook. Remove from BBQ when the fish is slightly under done, set aside to rest.
6. Just before serving drizzle with avocado oil.