The Mediterranean style vegetables complement the grilled salmon fillets perfectly.
Serves: 4. Chef: John Campbell
600gm salmon, skin on & pin boned
Lupi Extra Virgin Olive oil
½ onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
100gm button mushrooms, sliced
100gm peeled broad beans (fresh or frozen-thawed)
250gm pearl barley
600ml Foundation Foods chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
100ml white wine
1 red capsicum
2 tbsp basil, chopped
2 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
50gm Italian parmesan, grated
1 eggplant, large slices, brushed with oil & char-grilled on BBQ
¼ preserved lemon, chopped
Salt and pepper
A little butter
1. Heat a large pot, add the Lupi Extra Virgin olive oil and cook the onion and garlic (without colour) for approximately 4 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, cook a little and then add the broad beans and pearl barley.
3. Cook the pearl barley for about 25 minutes, adding the stock, a ⅓ each time, approximately every 8 minutes.
4. Now add the wine and continue to cook a further few minutes.
5. Meanwhile, grill the capsicum until the skin has blistered. Remove from heat, place into a bowl and cover with cling film. Once cooled, peel the capsicum and cut into slices.
6. Heat the BBQ or a pan, brush the salmon fillets with oil, season and place skin side down on the BBQ. Turn after a couple of minutes, cook for a further one minute then remove from the heat. Cooking time will depend on thickness of the fish fillet.
7. Add the basil, parsley and parmesan to the barley and season.
8. Serve in a suitable bowl and top with the char-grilled eggplant, capsicum and salmon, garnish with chopped preserved lemon.